Wednesday, September 2, 2009

bird applique pattern, personalized tags, and applique tips


Thanks for the nice comments on the skirt. I thought you might want the bird #2 pattern that I drew for the applique on the skirt. I usually draw something or find great patterns on blogs and at martha stewart's site. This is a bird I drew when I was decorating my daughter's room and wanted to make a few shadow boxes that I filled with felt birds and flowers. If you want any of the other patterns I have drawn, just click on them on my side bar and it should take you directly to them on scribd.com where you can download them as a pdf. They weren't working, but I think I fixed them. Let me know if they don't work.

As for the tag on Eva's skirt...I just used a piece of twill tape (made by Wrights and sold in packages by the bias tape in the fabric department). I have a few sets of tiny alphabet stamps that I bought in the dollar section at Michaels. I use fabric ink markers (I found mine at Wal Mart near the iron on transfers in the fabric department) to ink up the stamps and then just stamp directly on the piece of twill tape. I read the fabric ink pen and it doesn't say that it has to be heat set, so I am assuming it doesn't. But, I haven't washed a tag yet to know. I probably should try that, huh? I will soon! I also used this method to label the eye glass cases here. So simple and you can print any thing you want so it's so much fun.

For those of you new to applique, here are a few steps and tips:
1. You use Wonder Under, which is sold by the yard at fabric stores by the interfacings. It looks like paper on a bolt.
2. Then, you pick the fabric you are using and iron the Wonder Under (adhesives side down) to the back of the fabric.
3. Next, you can either draw the shape of your applique to the paper side (back side of the fabric) with the image reversed and cut it out or do like I usually do and put a pattern on top of the right side of the fabric and just cut around it. Sometimes I just cut it out with no pattern hoping to get it close to what's in my head!
4. Then, peal the paper away from your applique and you are ready to iron it on to your project. Iron it by holding your iron directly over it and counting 3 long seconds. I always check to make sure it is down good.
5. Now, you use your sewing machine to add details and secure it. I usually sew a tight and small zig zag stitch all around the applique working in layers. I will iron on the base of the applique (like the body for the bird) and stitch around it. Then, I add the other layers (the beak, the wing, the legs, etc.) and stitch around them as well. Instead of using a zig zag, you can straight stitch just inside the applique pieces and this will secure it and give you a great frayed look when you wash it.
6. To finish, you add the buttons, french knots, or back stitches for the details.

11 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

Thank you so much for posting this!

Stacy said...

That skirt might be the cutest thing ever. I love the tag, I have been wanting to do that for the clothes I make the kids but get too impatient each time. Now I will have to go get new craft supplies. Gotta Love That!!!

http://afortunatestrokeofserendipity.blogspot.com/

Carla G. said...

Thanks so much Traci for the detailed instructions! I love the handmade tag and can't wait to try one out!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

So cute - thanks for the info on tags!

Brett and Amy said...

Cute birdie! For those of us whom are not so artistic, there is the trace method. Trace your pattern onto the wonder under BEFORE ironing the fabric to it. It works great for me!

GloJoeSews said...

Love it! And the tag is so cute!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so cute! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm always getting emails from people looking for applique patterns. I'll be linking to this.

Lina said...

Oh that is cute...I'm always partial to a sweet birdie...

Katie Lewis said...

Thank you! I am so excited to try it! :)

Lisa said...

I love your applique patterns, but have only been reading your blog for a couple months. So, I never saw where you used your bird #1 or monkey or duck, etc. Do you mind linking the original project to the pattern somehow? I love seeing the patterns in action to give me more of a vision! That might be too much trouble though.

seven thirty three said...

I have used simple puff paints to ink up my stamps and then stamp directly onto fabric. That works well too.

:)