Tuesday, February 1, 2011

be mine banner

I love seeing all the many Valentines banners out in blogland right now like here, here, and here. I already have 3 banners hanging up at my house right now for Valentines Day(this one, this one and this one), but I wanted to make one anyway. I decided I would make one for a friend. I had an idea of what I wanted and then when I went upstairs I started to make something totally different. A lot of times I end up making something with what I have on hand because I want to do it right then and don't have the patience to wait until I can get something at the store. Plus, I have this idea that some day I can use up all the fabric (scraps and all) that I have in my sewing room. Impossible? Maybe, but I am up for the challenge.
The banner is simple - just 14 6X8" tan rectangles layered in two's and sewn on three sides - leaving the top open. That made seven rectangles. Once turned right side in and pressed, I was ready to cut the BE MINE out of black felt with Wonder Under on the back. I used the Pointedly Mad font from dafont.com. I cut the heart out of red felt with Wonder Under on the back using a heart stencil. I ironed the letters and heart on each rectangle and top stitched around them. Then, I had a long piece of red double fold bias and attached them to in between the fold.
Don't mind the blurry photos. We have had overcast days and it seems like sunny days are few and far between. I guess I need to take what I can get!

3 comments:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Very cute! I still haven't made a Valentine's banner yet.

Allie said...

How adorable! I really wish that I had an ounce of your craftiness! I love the banner. I just told my husband that I am going to become a crafty girl so that I can make cute things like this :)

Cheryl said...

I love your new banner and those wooden blocks in the corner are to die for! I cannot find my box of Valentine's decor so I am missing your kisses blocks you made me years ago. You are so talented!

Happy Heart Day my dear friend. I love you!