Tuesday, April 24, 2012

baby girl quilt

 I have been waiting to post this for awhile and now that I have given the quilt to my good friend, Angela for her baby girl, I can share it with you.  I am starting to love piecing baby quilts.  Of course, I understand that the work on them is quite small compared to the larger quilts, but it is good to practice my quilting skills on these little pieces of work. 
I attempted to make very random blocks with all the pink, green and turquoise fabrics that I had for a little girl.  As I made each block, I wasn't sure if it would be a big ol' mess or turn in to something unique and sweet.  I just kept going until I had twelve blocks done and then laid them out on the floor until they looked as though there was a little pattern to my madness.  I used strips of a pink and white fabric I had picked up from Joanne's to separate the blocks and I think it helped break up the madness a bit.  
 The back of the quilt was a solid pink on pink fabric that had silhouettes of boys and girls that I have had for awhile and can't remember who made it.  I don't have any left or I would look for the source.  But, I think it was cute to have a children on the back of a baby quilt. I free motion quilted and made the pattern rather large swirls.  I like it, but wish that I would have done them closer together.  I was afraid to go wild with the quilting, but I think next time, I will just have to be a little more "free" with the free motion!

No comments: